Business Studies

 

Introduction

Business Studies is a very diverse and dynamic subject, which by its nature is ever-changing. It is a subject which we all know something about, as we all act as consumers, are employed by or have been influenced in the past by a firm’s marketing or sales promotion. It makes use of current affairs and would be a good link up with subjects like ICT, Maths and languages etc. The Business department offers GCSE and A Level Business Studies, as well as Accounting at A Level.

Competitions

The department are involved in the Stock Market Challenge and BEP Business Link Programme at GCSE level and participate in the ifs Student Investor Challenge in Year 13 (local round won by our students in 2012), as well as various BEP events and competitions.

 

Business Enterprise Skills Training event organised by the local council, BEP and local businesses.

Students from St.Joseph’s Donaghmore, Holy Trinity College, SWC and Royal School with Martina Campbell (BEP)   Front Row L-R Leona McNicholls (Ulster Bank), Cllr Sean McGuigan Mayor DSTBC, Chairman CDC Cllr Pearse McAleer, Dearbhaile Mulholland (Terex).

Students from St.Joseph’s Donaghmore, Holy Trinity College, SWC and Royal School with Martina Campbell (BEP)
Front Row L-R Leona McNicholls (Ulster Bank), Cllr Sean McGuigan Mayor DSTBC, Chairman CDC Cllr Pearse McAleer, Dearbhaile Mulholland (Terex).

Leona McNicholls (Ulster Bank), Dearbhaile Mulholland (Terex) and Martina Campbell (BEP) with Mayor Cllr Sean McGuigan Students from .St.Joseph’s Donaghmore, Royal School and South West College.

Leona McNicholls (Ulster Bank), Dearbhaile Mulholland (Terex) and Martina Campbell (BEP) with Mayor Cllr Sean McGuigan
Students from .St.Joseph’s Donaghmore, Royal School and South West College.

Year 11 – 14 Business trip to Coca-Cola

BS Trip

Business Studies GCSE  (CCEA)

There are 2 units to be covered:

Unit 1  (June exam Year 11)             Unit 2 (June exam Year 12)

 

Business Start Up                               Finance

Production                                          Managing People

Marketing                                            Business Growth

Business Plan

 

There is also controlled assessment worth 20% of all the marks.

 

Applied Business Studies GCSE  (CCEA)

Is similar to the above subject content but 60% of the course is based on controlled assessment and the other 40% is a test at the end of the two years of study.

 

A Level Business Studies

The AS course entails study of the various forms of business organisation, markets, quality management and productivity.  There is also an examination of accounting and financial information, motivation, leadership and communication.

 

The A2 course builds upon AS content and examines business objectives, planning, decision-making, crisis management, globalisation and economics.

 

Skills Developed:

  • The ability to use financial and non-financial information in decision-making and problem solving.
  • The ability to analyse problems, issues and situations.
  • The ability to interpret information and communicate effectively.

Accounting   (AQA)

Course Outline:

Unit 1  -Covers the basics of book-keeping with a knowledge of documentation and final accounts of Sole Traders only.

Unit 2  -Examines business types, accounting concepts, company accounts, ratios and budgeting.

Unit 3  -Will look at sources of finance, incomplete records, partnership and published Company accounts, as well as accounting standards and stock valuation.

Unit 4  -Progresses to manufacturing firms, marginal and standard costing and capital investment appraisal.

 

Skills Developed:

  • The ability to present information in a clear and logical manner.
  • The ability to analyse that information and communicate findings in report form.
  • The ability to evaluate and make decisions.
  • The ability to work well with numbers, plan work and manage time appropriately.